“In the October 2018 clinical survey, 25.7% of cats and 36.9% of dogs were classified as Overweight (body condition score (BCS) 6 to 7 on a 9-point scale). 33.8% of cats and 18.9% of dogs with Obesity (BCS 8 to 9) by their veterinary healthcare professional. That equals an estimated 56 million cats and 50 million dogs are Overweight or Obese, based on 2018 pet population projections…” (https://petobesityprevention.org/2018)
56 million cats and 50 million dogs. We want to do something about that.
Lovable Pets is proud to bring you the 2020 Fit Fur Life Weight Loss Challenge!
Hey, Haven’t you Done This Before?
Nine years ago, we brought you the first Fit Fur Life Challenge! We had delightful contestants and wonderfully dedicated owners!
This year’s Fit Fur Life is going to look a little different. Firstly, there is no winner. If the dogs lose weight and the owners learn how to help them do so, then everyone is a winner. The ultimate goal here is healthier dogs. Keeping that in mind, at the beginning of the challenge, we will help the owners to set a reasonable weight-loss goal for their dog. All the dogs who reach their goal weight within the 8-week time frame will receive the $30 gift card prize. But, most importantly, they’ll have the tools to continue on the journey – to bring their dog to a healthy weight and maintain it!
Also, we’ll be posting many of our recommendations as well as the progress of our contestants on social media and our blog. This is so anyone who wishes can follow along from home and hopefully draw inspiration from our participants. We can only accept 5 or 6 dogs in the challenge, but we want to help as many pets as possible!
What’s the Commitment?
Participants will commit to creating and following a weight-loss plan for their dogs. (We strongly recommend a vet check-up prior to beginning any weight-loss program, to ensure that the dogs are healthy and unhindered by problems such as thyroid disorders, diabetes, or heart disease.) They will come to Lovable Pets for a weekly weigh-in and take a weekly survey to update us on their dog’s progress. They will also agree to become social media celebrities and help us to help all the dogs following along at home by sharing photos and details on their progress. (what has been challenging? what has been successful? etc.)
What’s the Reward?
Participants will receive:
- a private consultation with Lovable Pets staff
- During the first week of the challenge, we will schedule an appointment to do the initial weigh-in, discuss dietary and activity changes, and set a weight-loss goal.
- 15% off any food from Lovable Pets for the duration of the challenge
- Access to an exclusive Fit Fur Life Facebook group
- Here we will post the weekly surveys as well as tips, suggestions, and articles that could help you to reach your goals. This is also a great place to get to know one another, share your struggles, celebrate successes, and maybe meet a new dog-walking buddy or two.
- Social media celebrity status
- Get encouragement from our over 1,000 Facebook followers plus more on Instagram
All winners will receive:
- $30 Lovable Pets gift card and a lifetime of support from us
If you think your dog could benefit from this challenge, the application form can be found here: https://forms.gle/9GhUx9busM1ypgcu8
Don’t know if your dog is overweight? Our blog post: 6 Ways to Determine if Your Dog is Overweight can help you decide.