You may have noticed bone broth in our freezers and on our shelves and wondered what it was all about. Bone broth does more than make food more palatable to our furry friends; it has many health benefits as well. We hope to answer some of the most common questions we hear about bone broth here!
What Nutritional Benefits Does Bone Broth Offer my Dog?
- We talk all the time about moisture in pet food. There’s simply not enough of it in dry pet food. Any way that you can add moisture to your pet’s diet will be helpful. Most of us have heard of or experienced the detrimental effects of becoming dehydrated. Many household pets spend their lives that way.
- Joint Health
- Calcium and collagen are just two of the minerals found in bone broth that are important for joint health and recovery.
- Gut Health
- Gelatin and collagen in bone broth restore the lining of the intestine which allows for the healthy growth of gut bacteria or probiotics.
- Immune Boost
- This goes hand in hand with gut health. Much of the immune system for both pets and humans is located in the gut. A healthy supply of good bacteria there is crucial for overall health.
- Skin and Coat
- Collagen again for the win! Collagen supports the strength and elasticity of skin and improves the shine of your pet’s coat.
Can’t I Just Use Turkey Stock From the Grocery Store?
Much of the broth or stock we find in the grocery store is used to flavor foods. We’re looking for more than flavor in our bone broth. We want the nutritional benefit. For bone broth to be the most beneficial, it should be cooked on low heat for long enough that the healthy minerals and collagen are extracted from the bones. This is 24 hours or more of slow cooking.
Also, many grocery store broths will have added salt and onion. Neither of these should be put into bone broth for dogs.
Can I Make my Own?
Absolutely! Many people make bone broth at home for themselves and their pets. The important thing to remember about bone broth for dogs and cats is that added spices like salt and onion are not beneficial to pets and can be dangerous.
Check out reliable online sources for bone broth recipes. Here’s one from Dogs Naturally: https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/how-to-make-bone-broth-for-your-dog/ and another from The Wildest https://www.thewildest.com/dog-nutrition/recipe-making-bone-broth-dogs and one more from Top Dog Tips https://topdogtips.com/bone-broth-recipe-for-dogs/ .
If you don’t have the time or the interest in making your own, we have several options from trusted brands like: Nuggets, Green Juju, Open Farm, Nulo, and Honest Kitchen.